Sunday, September 04, 2005

Nouthetics, Right or Wrong? Decision still pending...

So I will have even more Sunday evening, but for now, in Richard Ganz’s book Psychobabble he makes some rather interesting propositions.  Essentially, it seems, psychology is flawed because it is based on God-less systems that reject His existence, therefore they cannot rightly understand man either, thus their conclusions are flawed due to faulty beginnings.  Then, he says, counseling is primarily a sin issue, helping those in need understand their need for salvation first, then with believers, helping them understand how repentance is needed if it is the result of their sin, or biblical understanding to deal with the issue if it is due to someone else’s sin.  To be honest, I am not sure how this deals with every part of counseling, but it is interesting.  My biggest concern is how do we then determine good Biblical counselors?  By evaluating their theology?  So Calvinists can’t counsel Arminians?  I don’t know.  I’m reading Jay Adams next, and he started the movement that came to be called Nouthetic counseling, a.k.a. Biblical counseling, so maybe I’ll find more there.  I’m also interested in what you all might have to say, so drop me a comment.

3 comments:

Sambi Katano said...

I can only give you what I have experienced. Bible based counseling worked for me. It gave me a solid foundation that allows me to continue deepening my relationship with God even today. I went for a total of 8 years and had 2 counselors, both mature Christians, one male, one female. As for right or wrong? I don't view this as a right/wrong issue. It will work for some people and it will not work for others. I view counseling as a tool, no more, no less.

Anonymous said...

Try reading Integrative Approaches to Psychology and Christianity by David N Entwistle and Biblical Concepts for Christian Counselling by William Kirwan, much more helpful and balanced than Ganz or Adams.

Anonymous said...

from both the bible and my own experiences as a client and a prayer minister there almost always surfaces - issues of spiritual conflict within and without that need to be addressed through the power of the blood of Christ - this is the literal wrestling with principalities and powers - a laboring to enter into the primised rest ... bless you !